Monday, April 16, 2012

The Restaurant Conundrum...


    My apologies to "The Big Bang Theory" and their episode naming convention for this weeks post.  I could be wrong, again, but I expect this to be a fairly short post.

As this weeks title might suggest We found ourselves in restaurants this weekend, four of them to be exact (although we only had to pay for one of them, great parents and birthdays are a great combination).  They were all very good but at least two of them  (Hacienda Colorado and Crackerbarrel) have extremely gastric bypass averse menus.  Hacienda Colorado has huge portions of typical starchy Mexican food and Crackerbarrel is kinda like eating a Paula Dean's house, butter and fat in almost everything.

I am happy to report that even with these challenges I think I did pretty good this weekend.  Had a sashimi sampler at an Asian fusion place (also proud of my mom for finally trying sushi for the first time, yay mom!).  I had half of a beef enchilada and a bite or two of beans at Hacienda Colorado (and am still enjoying leftovers from that one 6 meals later) and had just a scrambled egg and sausage patty (I know, pork is kinda fatty but I had to get some protein) at cracker barrel.

I also had a bit of an epiphany while at these restaurants.  I have a card from my doctor about my condition and instructing restaurants to allow me to order from the kids or seniors menus.  I didn't really come across a senior menu but did come across kids menus.  I am a bit of a foodie, and I have come to the conclusion, especially when cooking for myself that if I am going to only be eating a few bites  I am going to strive to make them as good as I can without cheating on my diet. Meaning really good ingredients, and rather bold flavors. (made a small tortilla pizza the other day with Italian herb chicken, caramelized shallots and roasted cherry tomatoes with fresh mozzarella that was absolutely amazing and lasted me for four meals).

I've explained this to say I noticed that for the most part all of the food on kids menus are apparently the most bland menu options they can find. I am sure that those of you with kids probably are saying "well duh", and I would have probably learned this in the next few years but as a childless adult used to eating huge portions you don't spend much time looking at kids menus.

Now down to the heart of the matter, and that is of course how the diet is going as a whole and how the scale is moving.  I lost another 5 pounds and am down to 331.2.  I have reached a point where I seem to be adding to the pile of clothes eventually going to a thrift or consignment store almost daily (including the dress pants I wore to work today).

As y'all know I can't do a post here without mentioning my wife and the fast approaching appearance of my son Evren.  This was an interesting week, we ended up in the hospital  with a Preeclampsia scare.  It turned out to not be Preeclampsia and they instead determined that the stress of work and the knowledge that she was going to be loosing her job was causing her blood pressure to be higher than it should.  So, April has started her maternity leave already and is on it until her layoff day in June.  She is also on an 80/20 version of bed rest where it is 80% rest and 20% being somewhat active including a 10-15 minute walk.  We obviously want the pregnancy to go as close to 40 weeks as possible but I will breathe a lot easier as soon as we can get to at least 36 weeks (9 more days)

Thinkin' that is it for this week.  Thanks for reading and as always thanks for the prayers, thoughts and support.

The Incredible Shrinking Man

No comments:

Post a Comment