Monday, July 18, 2011

First appointment with nutritionist.

So, even though my initial appointment with the Surgeon isn’t for another month I was able to schedule an appointment with the Nutritionist to get the ball rolling on the six months of medically supervised diet.
My first appointment was today. I actually started dieting about a week ago and have done pretty well so far but since to day is my first appointment I am going to consider it day one, my starting point  My starting point weight 412.4 pounds (BMI 59.2).
An interesting thing about fat people, even though they don’t tend to follow sound nutritional concepts with their diet, most of them, including me know an awful lot about nutrition. This comes from trying several diets and getting a nutritional indoctrination when starting each one.  And while each one is different most of the nutrition info they provide is similar.
I thought I knew for the most part what I was going to hear today, and I did hear a lot of what I expected but the appointment in general was not exactly what I expected.
I expected it to just be all about being on a diet for weight loss, which they did cover some of that but it was primarily geared towards starting to make some changes to my diet now that will be necessary changes after the surgery.
This actually made a lot of sense because one of the reasons for having bariatric surgery is that regular diets don’t work long term for the morbidly obese.  This is actually one of the points Dr. Snyder drove home at the seminar.
So they work with you to form some better nutritional habits.  Their focus, however, is on changes that will make the transition after surgery easier. Stuff like cutting your food smaller and chewing it a lot more before swallowing, drinking a lot of water but not with your meals, eating multiple small meals and not “drinking your calories” (This one is gonna be tough because it includes not drinking milk and I am a big milk drinker).
We also covered the vitamin supplements I will need to be taking since my ability to absorb some vitamins will be limited.
So, nutrition appointment #1 down, relatively painless. Only five more to go.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Daniel,

    I'm glad to hear you are taking this step! I know it is both one of the best things you can do for yourself and also one of the scariest. Just stick with the plan and take it one day at a time. Our prayers are with you!

    -- Terry

    ReplyDelete