Monday, July 18, 2011

The Seminar

I went to the Bariatric surgery seminar back on July 7th, glad I did, it was a really good experience.
I am really impressed with the Dr (Dr. Snyder).  He comes across as being exceedingly intelligent, very confident (some might say cocky but he has the numbers to back up his confidence) and really seems to care for his patients.
Skinny people will find this somewhat strange but I liked being in a crowd with other overweight people and knowing they could relate to some things I go thru. Dr. Snyder mentioned some of these and it was like he had read my mind (like avoiding booths in restaurants with fixed tables because they are too tight or tying your shoes so the knot is right on the inside edge).
I also loved hearing from a panel of people who have had one type of gastric bypass or another, and how it has improved their lives (and some of the negatives).  I found it assuring that they all were able to say what they thought was the worst thing about the surgery but that even with the negative things they all said they would undoubtedly do it again if given the chance to make the decision again; in fact some said their biggest regret was not doing it sooner.
I had already pretty much decided that I wanted to have the Roux-en-y surgery but this seminar definitely re-enforced that choice.  It may be the most significant surgery (at least it is done laparoscopically instead of open like it used to be) but it also has the highest average amount of weight loss after it and I figure with wanting to lose more than 200 pounds it is the best choice.
At the end of the Seminar we were able to set up our first appointment with the surgeon, mine is in mid August, I wish I could speed it up.  I am hoping to be able to get an appointment with the dietician sooner than that so I can at least get started on the 6 month diet.
I will try and get some pictures up here soon and then will hopefully be posting more pictures to show my progress after the Surgery.
I appreciate you coming and reading my story…so far.  I would ask that you keep me in your thoughts and prayers going forward, especially when I get to the point of the actual surgery.
God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment